I’ve always been intrigued about the roles of business psychologists and certified coaches and their ability to elevate the performances of the people and organizations they work with. In this show, I visited with Dr. Russell Thackeray, a business psychologist, certified coach, trainer, and renowned speaker. We addressed topics such as resistance, when to hire a business coach, the intentions and execution of tough love, psychological capacity, and much more.
Who Is Dr. Russell Thackeray?
Dr. Thackeray is a business psychologist, certified coach, trainer, and renowned speaker. He works with the ‘soft issues’ in business by building a strong culture and emotional and mental toughness that allows people to thrive regardless of what life throws at them. He is an expert at assisting people and organizations in driving change, achieving goals, and winning in a consistent and sustainable way.
Dr. Thackeray is also the founder of his consulting firm, QED. He’s also the host of the Resilience Unravelled podcast.
- First career – music
- The Viola and Entreprenuerism
- The pivot to consulting as a business psychologist
- Systemitized common sense
- Is the negative stigma of psychology gone?
- Psychologiest vs business coaches
- What is reslience? Is it a learned skill?
- Bouncing forward vs bounding back
- The intentions and execution of tough love
- What is psychological capacity?
- The business of psychology and is it push or pull?
The Lightning Round
Near the end of the show, we did a quick lightning round addressing three tyrannies. Are they real or just myths?
- The Tyranny of Goal Setting
- The Tyranny of Personality Profiles
- The Tyranny of Bad Incentive Pay Plans
Books Mentioned on the Show
- Margin by Richard Swenson
- The One Minute Manager
- Deep Work
- To Sell is Human
- Books by David Eagleman
Dr. Thackeray also recommends The Journal of Neuroscience.
If you liked the interview with Dr. Russell Thackeray, consider the following for your next listen:
Beyond the Wall of Resistance
An Inner Journey Through Failure and Renewal
A very special thank you to Ria Romano for helping to make this interview possible (LinkedIn profile).
Leave a Reply