I started my print subscription to HBR in 2006 and I also have digital access too. I have no desire to drop either. But do options exist not counting Inc., Forbes, or Fortune? My crack staff of one did the research and the pickings are slim. Accordingly, don’t drop that subscription just yet.
Top Alternatives to HBR (That are Similar)
- McKinsey Quarterly – I love their content, and I’m signed up for some of their alerts. There is plenty of content you can get for free.
- Strategy+Business – at a minimum, sign up for their newsletters and read what interests you. This publication has been around for a while, but I still like HBR better.
- MIT Technology Review – a bit tech heavy, but great content.
- Insights by Stanford Business – is just ‘okay’ from my perspective. I skim their content about monthly, but it’s not in the same league as HBR.
- Knowlege@Wharton – probably deserves to be on this list, but I rarely look at the site.
- The Oxford Review – I learned about this publication when answering a similar question on Quora. The content is heavy on organizational health. Your HR team members may find bookmarking this site useful.
- The Economist – I wanted 7 publications on this list, so this stodgy, no-nonsense global reporting focuses on financial and business topics. Several peers say this is the only business publication they read. Their paywall is strict. Sign up for an account, and you can read 2 articles a week. If I wasn’t a faithful reader of the WSJ, I’d probably subscribe to The Economist.
- MIT Sloan Management Review – Props to Ted Kinni, a contributing editor, for this inclusion.
Your turn. What publication did I leave off the list?
Photo Attribution – Roger W., great pic of Harvard’s Eliot House.