While you may not recognize the name, Steve Bailey is one of three people I would enshrine immediately into a financial modeling hall of fame if one existed. Steve is a long-time financial modeling expert and he’s the founder of Model Metrix, a firm providing modeling-as-a-service and designing integrated business plans. This conversation is not just for financial modeling practitioners but for CEOs and other business managers too.
Who is Steve Bailey?
- LinkedIn profile
- President and Founder at Model Metrix
- Partner at Foreside Group
- Channel Partner at Quantrix
- Skillsets of a financial modeler
- For accountants or not accountants?
- The best way for any manager to learn the business inside and out
- Financial modeling tacit knowledge
- Steve’s favorite models he’s created
- Systems vs component thinking
- The Great Divorce and the tools of financial modeling
- Stress testing vs scenarios
- The biggest flaws Steve sees in every model
- What is modeling as a service?
Five-Layered Model Design
I first encountered Steve Bailey when he was working for Quantrix as a consulting manager. His forum posts for Quantrix users were always educational. I still have an old framework he created years ago which broke out the key activities in model design. He’s refined that framework over the years, and I’m including my version based on my notes from Steve’s interview.
You can learn more about this framework by signing up for their download on Model Matrix.
Leave a Reply