Technology with the advancement of generative AI is seemingly moving at a pace we’ve rarely seen with other innovations. How does any organization step back and figure out how to adopt digital and AI technologies to support its strategic objectives? That’s where Rewired comes in. The subtitle for this new book is The McKinsey Guide to Outcompeting in the Age of Digital and AI. Our guest is Eric Lamarre, one of the co-authors of this practical playbook.
- the origin story Rewired dates back to 2017
- five myths surrounding digital and AI transformations
- the harsh realities of starting a digital transformation
- the domain approach to getting started
- getting the team right
- the role of the CTO – chief transformation officer
- digital skills mapping
- talent win rooms
- employee value propositions (EVPs)
- quarterly business reviews (QBRs)
- pilot purgatory
- go & see visits
- Digital 101
A Digital 101 Assessment
Eric and his co-authors say executive teams need to understand at least the fundamentals of digital technologies by undertaking six to ten hours of training. That can be in the classroom, through online training, or through site visits.
Along those lines, consider this five-statement assessment by grading each line as follows:
- 3 – a very true statement
- 2 – somewhere in the middle
- 1 – not even close to being a true statement
Here are the five statements:
- I use technology to better understand my customers and drive business decisions.
- I use data and analytics regularly to make or support operating decisions.
- I know what an agile pod is and how to make those pods very productive.
- I know how digital technologies can help us achieve our three biggest goals.
- My cybersecurity awareness and acumen are so high that I have safeguards to thwart cyber threats.
- Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies (7th Edition)
- Ask Your Developer: How to Harness the Power of Software Developers and Win in the 21st Century
- Eric’s LinkedIn profile
- Eric’s bio page at McKinsey
- McKinsey’s interview with the three authors – the videos are outstanding
Technology for the Next Generation of Retail and Beyond
Finance Essentials in AI, Data Science, and ERP
The Six Pillars of CEO Excellence